This is my WIP Swift Boat. It is not uploaded yet, but I want to share my process with you all. I guess it fits in this forum.
I am working on it for a few months now but done a lot the last weeks. I use the A3 Samples to get my boat working (understand the basics how everything is working / copy paste configs and adjusting them because im shit at doing configs lol).
Without the A3 Samples, the A3 Forum(s)/Wiki(s), problem solvers and question responders my boat would not swim, haha.
Programs I use (at least trying to use them)
- Blender, + Arma Toolbox for Blender + UVPackmaster (because im lazy as fuck) + TexTools
- Quixel Mixxer (just since a few weeks)
The UNSUNG mod and later/now also the SOG PF DLC got me motivated to create smth(got addicted to the vietnam war theme lol). Just thought more naval stuff would be nice to have and began to research and collecting reference pictures / information etc.
I am not the fastest person so progress is a bit slow. Also I am still a noob in modding stuff but have fun doing it. A few years back I tried the first time to get into modding but got not enough motivation and know-how. Also the learning curve is yeah... *coughing*. Especially when you are more the lone ranger type of person.
- At the moment I have the RES 0, Geometry, GeometryPhysX, ShadowVolume 0 and 10,Memory Point and Hitpoint (just set up but nothing in the configs) LOD's working. My RES1 LOD has ca 41 000 vertecies. Without the gun turrets it is on 27 000.
- The main gunner turret on the pilothouse is also working but only one gun is firing bullets. animated bullets and other detail work is not done yet. The rear turret was the latest object I was working on, mem points and selections are also set up but not configured yet.
- Three textures: hull, turrets with guns and the glass. Baked AO NO map in blender fast and thrown them together in Quixel for wip purpose. For the glass I just use the tutorial glass material and texture from the pmc wiki tutorial.
- All the doors and windows can be opened and closed.
- Working flag.
All in one: It is WIP.
My main goal right now
A first alpha WIP release – playable status:
- I will do at least the RES 1 - 5 and Fire Geometry LOD's. Set up the other view LODS and reduce the polycount on RES1... / View Pilot for pilothouse just copy paste and deleting stuff to hold it simple. The detailed pilot view will come later.
- Set up cargo positions and at least one cargo turret (front hatch). The guns should also work properly at release.
- Hiddenselections for clan symbols on doors. Also for ship numbers.
- Working lights.
I know it will not be perfect, but in the end it should be good enough to have fun with it.
It would nice to hear some suggestions, critic, ideas, some tipps and tricks etc.
There are tons of Swift Boat MK1 variations... the paint, equipped weapon(s) turrets, hull adjustments, bigger windows, smaller windows and so on... Some help to make some decisions would also be nice. I have also a ton of questions but better I put them in to the discord servers or A3 Main forum.
Other WIP random pics: https://imgur.com/a/AMVgT8I