Thumbs Up
    Received: 242
    Given: 144

Which ironsights are difficult to use?
    27-05-21 , 11:56

Hey everyone, we got some reports about a few of the iron sights being difficult to use due to tight rear sights. Which weapons have this issue?
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 40

27-05-21 , 14:41

In essence, every weapon that uses aperture/ghost ring/peep sights. So:
    • M1/M2 Carbine
    • M14
    • M16
    • M3A1 Grease Gun
    • MAS-49/56
    • Stoner 63
    • MAT-49
    • MAC-10 (this one seems to have the best field of view from the list)
    • Sten
    • XM177
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 14

27-05-21 , 17:05

Weird. I have not had any issues using the iron sights. The only gun that I found tricky to use was the "El Cid" RPD variant, but that is only because of the lack of a front post sight. I wonder how many of these "reports" are because players have for the most part been spoiled with having the ability to throw an "optic" on their guns in most FPS games today. I like that SGD has kept the game accurate in terms of what it was really like during those battles/missions.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 26

27-05-21 , 21:36

At least my own report of this difficulty was based on observations made with the real-world sights on my heavily modded Nerf "Deploy CS-6" carbine. The effect is also visible in photographs taken from eyeball perspective of the sight picture from a real rifle.

See:
    ​​​​​​​Name:  IronSightsIRL.png
Views: 400
Size:  125.1 KB

So be it a toy or a deadly weapon, the effect is really the same: When you focus your vision/lens on either the target or the front post of the iron (or plastic) sights , the rear elements blur out until they are all but invisible.

This is true even with one eye closed, which is why the same burring will happen in photography. With both eyes open, one sees the entire weapon blurred out to transparency (and doubled over to the side as well, though I'd rather not have that in any game for all the clutter it'd make)

Artificially replacing the mesh or textures of the rear sight ring with a blurred out version while aiming (as done by RHS on their M1 Garand) is a perfect compromise between the pixel perfect all-range focus of (non post-processed) computer graphics vs. the fuzzy behavior of the quantum blobs we see as light in real life, as far as the purpose of using iron-sights in a game goes...
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 14

28-05-21 , 15:34

Quote Originally Posted by MayhemMcAwesome View Post
    At least my own report of this difficulty was based on observations made with the real-world sights on my heavily modded Nerf "Deploy CS-6" carbine. The effect is also visible in photographs taken from eyeball perspective of the sight picture from a real rifle.

See:
    ​​​​​​​Name:  IronSightsIRL.png
Views: 400
Size:  125.1 KB

So be it a toy or a deadly weapon, the effect is really the same: When you focus your vision/lens on either the target or the front post of the iron (or plastic) sights , the rear elements blur out until they are all but invisible.

This is true even with one eye closed, which is why the same burring will happen in photography. With both eyes open, one sees the entire weapon blurred out to transparency (and doubled over to the side as well, though I'd rather not have that in any game for all the clutter it'd make)

Artificially replacing the mesh or textures of the rear sight ring with a blurred out version while aiming (as done by RHS on their M1 Garand) is a perfect compromise between the pixel perfect all-range focus of (non post-processed) computer graphics vs. the fuzzy behavior of the quantum blobs we see as light in real life, as far as the purpose of using iron-sights in a game goes...

I get what you are saying and it may be great if SGD could implement this but I don't think its a game breaker. As far as "real world experience" using both the M16A2 and early M4s in the pre-ACOG/Red Dot days, I can say after spending 10 years (90's early 2000's) as a Combat Medic in the US Army in various Infantry and Mechanized Infantry units I/we were never bothered about the "blurriness" of the rear sight aperture. Front post center mass of target, centered in the rear sight, squeeze trigger, kill. To eaches own though, I'm sure there will be a mod on the Workshop sooner or later to alleviate your complaints.
    Last edited by MIKEBRAVO; 28-05-21 at 15:50.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 40

28-05-21 , 19:30

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEBRAVO View Post
    I get what you are saying
    (...)we were never bothered about the "blurriness" of the rear sight aperture.

Umm... No, the issue is quite the opposite - problem is lack of bluriness in game, since the rear sight obstructs much of the field of view. This, naturaly, doesn't happen in real life, due to the aperture being very close to the eye, and appearing out of focus. In "ghost ring" sights (as used in AR-15 variants) the sight is thin enough, that it almost vanishes to human eye, allowing for a very fast target identification/aquisition. Something that's, at the moment, impossible to achieve in game, except for RHS script used on their M1 Garand.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 126

31-05-21 , 15:59

Quote Originally Posted by krzychuzokecia View Post
    In essence, every weapon that uses aperture/ghost ring/peep sights. So:
    • M1/M2 Carbine
    • M14
    • M16
    • M3A1 Grease Gun
    • MAS-49/56
    • Stoner 63
    • MAT-49
    • MAC-10 (this one seems to have the best field of view from the list)
    • Sten
    • XM177

​​​​​​​I agree, all the guns with aperture sights are hard to use because so much of your view is obstructed.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 15

03-06-21 , 15:53

For me I'd say the Stoner 63 and the M14 are the toughest. I switched to the XM177 which i call the CAR 15 and that's fairly easy to use. Just a matter of getting used to the sites on the others.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

08-06-21 , 14:27

For me, I have a lot of trouble employing the M60 Shorty effectively, especially at close ranges. I think it's a combination of the sights having been cut down so much, as well as the inertia of the weapon itself. I've noticed that when you're ADS with the Shorty and you traverse the weapon, it takes a split-second for the rear sight and muzzle to re-align. This can be critical when you're trying to line up on a target at the correct point to compensate for the muzzle rise. Combined with the AI's Matrix-like ability to predict where you're aiming and dodge out of the way, it means I usually lose close-contact engagements with this weapon. However, I do not experience the same problem with the RPD Shorty, with the main difference being the RPD has a nice big front sight post and aperture that aids in target acquisition immensely.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 10

09-06-21 , 11:49

I've always hated aperture and peep sights in games because they simply don't work the same way they do in real life, and because of that they obstruct too much of your view.

On a somewhat related note, I'd like to see the Armson Singlepoint OEG added. They saw use by the Air Force and MACV-SOG in Vietnam.
    Name:  fww3gqhkwqix.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  125.0 KBName:  Son-Tay-Photo-10.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  166.5 KB
    Mobile Riverine Force The Mobile Riverine Force was a joint force made up of Navy and Army units operating in the Mekong Delta region. We are a milsim unit focused on creating a more realistic and immersive Vietnam War experience in Arma.