Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 7

AI can not traverse rice paddies / AI pathfinding

10-05-21 , 10:52

As the title says, AI team mates are not able to traverse the rice paddies, to be exact they can not cross the elevated borders. If you place AI soldiers inside one of them they are trapped. Same problem we had back then with the low stone walls on Altis/Stratis until BI fixed it. As you all know you can now just walk/ run over them. Since it is nearly the same height, a fix should be possible. Without a fix large potions of the map will be completely useless for playing with any kind of AI.

Bridges are working fine, even the smal rope bridges :). Rope bridges and some of the large wooden piers (Mekong Delta markets) seem to have bad collision though, units are walking in the air above them.

AI controlled vehicles seem to do a lot of zig zag on roads as as if to search for the right path. During the SP mission, when driving to the shooting range our jeep hit nearly every lamp post beside the road.

Other than that the dlc is just awesome and probably the best and most immersive gaming experience I've ever had in Arma !! Thx a lot for your hard work over all the years !!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 51

10-05-21 , 13:27

The problem with Water and IA is in Arma 3 .But you have solution for Fix this problem . Use All In One AI : https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/to...layer-project/ look the video here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXmk...nnel=Leopard20 Or You can use VCOM AI for Add More Logic in IA
    Last edited by DarkSnake; 10-05-21 at 13:34.
    Thumbs Up

10-05-21 , 16:46

Yeah thx this seems to help with a lot of vanilla problems, but the problem with the rice paddies is simply prop related.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 5

10-05-21 , 17:56

Thank you for the report, we will investigate this issue.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 40

11-05-21 , 07:56

I was going to report this bug now. The vanilla AI is incapable of navigating through rice paddies or flooded areas. Although I think they look pretty nice, there are many things amongst the rice paddies in this map that represents "AI fence jumping olympics" which, in other terms, can be said to be detrimental to the simulation value of the DLC.

I understand that the reason behind the lack of single player content is attributed to the utter incompetence of Arma's AI, but at the same time, it's impossible to get rid of it completely, for even in the included multiplayer coop modes there is always a necessary AI presence.

My suggestion is that the map should be revised and simplified in terms of obstacles and superfluous eye-candy objects but also, not less important, be made with dried rice paddies. There is no point in having a pretty map when it's unplayable.

Edit: Apparently the problem goes beyond just flooded riced paddies. I think that the problem are the mounds that divide each paddie. The AI path finding can't cross them. Perhaps making them lower in height will solve the issue.
    Last edited by stormridersp; 11-05-21 at 08:39.
    Thumbs Up

11-05-21 , 09:47

As I wrote above, the problem is not related to the paddies being flooded! AI can perfectly walk inside the paddies but can not travers the elevated borders surrounding them.

I absolutely agree that the focus here is on Coop/PVE and I am absolutely fine with it but every improvement made for AI pathfinding makes the COOP experience better also:)

Nearly every village and every town is surrounded by fields and rice paddies so this for me is a real must have fix :)

Talking about making maps more AI friendly in general is a thing of its own and should be discussed in an own thread :)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 5

11-05-21 , 21:49

Hi, thanks for the further feedback, we will look into this and hopefully can ensure that the AI can navigate the rice paddy objects successfully, thanks again for the report.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 40

12-05-21 , 06:22

Quote Originally Posted by Jack4607 View Post
    Hi, thanks for the further feedback, we will look into this and hopefully can ensure that the AI can navigate the rice paddy objects successfully, thanks again for the report.

Using the module Hide terrain object, it's possible to create gaps in these obstacles. Perhaps the map could be revised to include built-in gaps.
    Thumbs Up

12-05-21 , 09:59

Edit: It is possible to use invisible pathways from the editor ( 1m are looking the best). If you place them correctly AI is able to traverse the rice paddies dike walls.

Last edited by PrivateEvans; 13-05-21 at 21:47.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

13-05-21 , 23:34

@PrivateEvans:

What du you mean by invisible pathways?
]>